29 March 2010

Quick house update (but mostly game nerding)

A very quick update to say that the house now has some bricks on it! Had a quick look on the way home last night and we have bricks to the roof line on the north side, and about halfway up on the southside. Will try and get up there to post some pictures soon. I was planning on cycling up there after work today, but the weather is a bit on the foul side, so I might not make it.

In other news, as anyone who I've talked to in the last week or so can attest, I've bought a copy of Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition, and have been spending all my spare time playing it. I've been looking forward to playing this for a couple of years now, pretty much ever since it came out in 2008. It was one of the first purchases I was planning on getting for the ps3, but I didn't end up picking it up until last weekend.


It's been really interesting playing it, the change of format to first person shooter has made the gameplay much more tense and scary, which is a mixed bag for me. It makes it slightly more exciting, but I'm not that great with scary things, so I find myself saving way too often and having to take breaks when it gets too much. I'm still not totally sold on first person shooters on a console either - I miss my mouse and kb! I think the game would be much easier on the PC as well, I would certainly never bother with the faux turn based V.A.T.S system the game utilises as a nod to it's turn based combat roots.

That all seems quite a negative paragraph, so I should reiterated that I love the game and am finding it tremendously addictive. I especially enjoy that grenades and mines are much more useful than they were in the first two games, and that it's much easier to be sneaky. The storyline is engaging and the freedom that the fallout series gives the player to customise and take their own path through the wasteland remains intact, which is something I always loved.

Anyway, I don't want to start reviewing a game that has been out for years and already extensively reviewed elsewehere. Suffice to say, I'm enjoying it.


No comments:

Post a Comment