24 May 2010

House update - almost caught looking around the site

We went to have a look at the house on Sunday, and we got a bit excited to see that the internal walls are in, and it looks like all the cladding on the outside is finished. This puts it at just about lock up/air tight stage.

We were so excited, we jumped the fence to go and have a look inside without taking any precautions; usually we at least circle the block to see if there's anyone working on the site. To cut a long story short, there were workers on site, and luckily we saw them before they saw us. I don't think they realised we were there, but we legged it at full pelt anyway.

As an aside, I was reminded of sneaking around my high school at night one weekend as a misbehaving teenager. On that occasion, we seemed to have free run of the place, and delighted in drinking a smuggled beer in the same spot we ate lunch on a school day. However, being young and in search of a thrill, we then proceeded to sneak up on the security guard's post and were chased off the campus.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand.

Despite the set back, it was still pretty exciting to see that there are interior walls up! The two places next door have been painted as well, which hopefully means ours will be painted soon too. I was really interested to see how far along the units that were already painted a couple of weeks ago were fairing, but unfortunately, that's exactly where the workers were.

We also started looking at curtains over the weekend. I learned a few things, first amongst them being that I don't have a bloody clue about curtains. I had actually thought it was all relatively simple, but it does not seem so.

The second thing I learned is that there are not many curtain places open on a Sunday.

The third thing I learned is that I really don't find curtain shopping enjoyable. Thankfully Dana has far more enthusiasm for it. My negative reaction to it actually surprised me a little bit - I've quite enjoyed all the other house shopping we've done, especially furniture shopping.

We did, after looking through a lot of swatches in the single shop that was open, manage to find one curtain fabric that we both agreed was quite nice. I couldn't find a good picture of it online, but it is the curtain fabric in the background in the picture below:


It was, at least, slightly gratifying that we mostly came to the same conclusions about the fabrics. Previous conversations with Dana (and an understanding of her likes and dislikes in colour learned over time) had me a bit worried that she would want something much more striking, where I would favour something conservative. Next weekend will (unfortunately) involve more curtain shopping. Maybe this time, we'll even talk to a sales person about how much it will cost and things like installing tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment