15 February 2010

Weel 16 - partial frame

The key thing about this weekend in Canberra is that it is VERY FREAKING WET. We've had something like 85mm in two days here which has precluded all the out doors activities I was planning for this weekend. I'll post about one or two of them in a bit, but this post is about.....(drum roll please)....a partial frame!

That's right, the rear part of the house, where the bedrooms are, now has a frame.


Hooray for exposed wood! Dana tells me it's not even a thing that the wood is all exposed and wet, because it's treated pine - I'm not sure if I actually find that particularly reassuring, but there's not much to be done for it. And as should be clear by this stage, the house will have a timber frame with a brick veneer on the outside.

I had an interesting discussion with a friend of mine who used to work in a design/architecture firm about wood frames versus brick (aka double brick). I came from the perspective that double brick houses must be better, because they were more solid etc. However, according to my friend, there's really no difference in terms of structural integrity, or insulation, or any of the other arguments I could come up with. He also pointed out that they had some advantages. I'd be lying if I could remember what they were now, but I would imagine saving space is probably one of them. I imagine they'd probably be a bit cheaper and easier to put up as well.

Anyway, back to the house.


Above is the view into my future bedroom. Note the massive puddles everywhere on the building site. It's wet.


This shot shows where the walk in robe will be. We were quite stoked to have a walk in robe, which I thought was a mega luxury. Unfortunately, I've since estimated that Dana's clothes will take up at least an additional wardrobe. On the bright side, at least there will be a place to put the chronically overflowing dirty clothes hamper(s).


As you can see from the two side on (ish) shots above, the front part of the frame still hasn't gone up. If you look closely at the first of the two, you can see the windows piled up in what will be the courtyard. Never fear poor windows, you'll have a home soon!


This is another unit on the site that has the same floor plan as ours (but mirrored). This one is quite a bit further on than ours. I've included it just to show what ours will look like a bit further down the track.


This is the house next door to the one with the same floor plan as ours. I've included it because it's the first indication of the sort of height the end product is going to be.

One thing I haven't included, which I will have to in the next blog post, is a picture of some of the external walls on the other units that are already along. It's good to finally see the colour and texture of the brick in the flesh - it's been a long time since we looked at the sample board. It's a fairly dark neutral tone, nothing fancy, but inoffensive.

I can't wait until the rest of the frame is up and things have dried out a little! I really want to jump the fence again and look around the unit.


Until that time, I shall bide my time and wait.

Today's blog is brought to you by the Chemical Brothers "Where do I begin". My mate Shanwise helped me share his appreciation of the Chemical Brothers back in high school, and they're still excellent. This track in particular is pretty much the quintessential Monday morning track. A quick heads up to any of the kids planning to watch the clip embedded below - it's got a few visal drug references in it. It gave me a bit of a shock while sitting at my desk at work, as it is quite possibly not something you'd want your supervisor seeing over your shoulder (innocent as it may be).



Edit: It occurs to me that it is a singular frame, and not frames. Have edited the post accordingly.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah I spoke to my brother at the end of last year about timber framed stuff - it actually has some benefits compared to brick (like you I remembered the conclusion not the reasoning).

    Here in WA we had Midland Brick telling us for the last 50 years that bricks are better... enough said?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it spun me out a bit, but I guess they know what they're on about.

    What was your house?

    ReplyDelete